Become a Volunteer
To become a certified Literacy Suffolk tutor, volunteers must have a high school diploma and attend a 12-hour tutor training workshop. The workshops prepare volunteers to work with adults in need of basic reading, writing and/or conversational English language skills. (Knowledge of a foreign language is not required.)
- Attendance at all sessions of the workshop is required
- Training workshops utilize videos and live demonstrations
- Trainees practice teaching techniques by participating in informal role-playing sessions
After successfully completing a workshop, trained tutors are matched with learners.
- Volunteers are asked to tutor for at least 2-3 hours a week and commit to the program for one year.
- Tutoring takes place in a public place, usually at a local library.
- Opportunities to attend additional training seminars are offered to trained tutors who wish to upgrade their skills.
- Tutor support groups enable trained tutors to share ideas and experiences.
- Ongoing support and materials are offered to trained tutors
To be placed on our mailing list:
- You can fill out the application online at Tutor Application
- Download Tutor Application and mail to Literacy Suffolk, Inc. PO Box 9000, Bellport NY 11713
- Download Tutor Application and fax to 631.286.1668
The Tutor Application is available in PDF format. It is best viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you have the reader program and would like to continue click on Tutor Application, (503KB).
To download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader please visit the Adobe site.
Tutor Training Workshop Schedule
View the Current Workshop Schedule